Virginia Beach is ideal for nature lovers. With the affordable lodging found at http://www.expedia.com/Virginia-Beach-Norfolk-Virginia-Beach-Hotels.0-n602982-0.Travel-Guide-Filter-Hotels, there’s no reason not to go. No matter what time of year you visit, there is plenty of great outdoor fun to be had.
- First Landing State Park. Over 19 miles of interpretive trails and 1.25 miles of beachfront are featured at this 2,888-acre park fronting the Chesapeake Bay. Experience protected salt marsh habitat, beach, dunes, freshwater ponds, tidal marsh and cypress swamp as well as the maritime forest community, one of the most endangered habitat types in the world.
- Back Bay Wildlife Refuge. A thin strip of coastline is host to 9,108 acres of wildlife refuge, home to endangered species such as the peregrine falcon, bald eagle, loggerhead sea turtles and piping plovers. Ocean beaches, barrier islands, beach woodland, dunes, maritime forests, ponds and freshwater marshes can all be found and explored via scenic trails.
- False Cape State Park. Here wildlife enthusiasts can admire over 300 species of nesting and migratory songbirds as well as shorebirds and ducks (not to mention a population of 10,000 returning snow geese). Other area wildlife includes the white-tailed deer fox, red fox, otters, loggerhead turtles, feral pigs, wild horses, bald eagles and a number of reptiles. Visitors can explore six miles of ocean-to-freshwater habitat at the park including farm fields, woodland, dunes and maritime forest.
- Tours and Rentals. There are over half a dozen different outfitters providing tours and rental equipment for exploring the local area. This is a great option for families.
- City Parks. Over 264 parks and park facilities cover 4,000 acres in Virginia Beach. These parks include open space preservation areas, waterway access, trail linkages, natural areas, signature parks, park athletic facilities, metro parks, community parks and neighborhood parks.
Whichever parks you visit, Virginia Beach does not disappoint and is always a favorite among those who enjoy the great outdoors.